Baby Christian is now 3 months old and precisely 13 healthy pounds of soft baby fat and pure joy! He is strong, curious, talking (trying to) and recognizes faces, voices, and mommy's and daddy's arms. We've had some great moments this last month but nothing tops the experience of: DAY CARE.
Webster's New Millennium Dictionary of English defines "heart-wrenching" as:
"causing great sadness; heart + wrench 'violent twisting'
Webster's New Millennium Dictionary of English defines "heart-wrenching" as:
"causing great sadness; heart + wrench 'violent twisting'
This was precisely the sentiment when we took Christian to his first day of childcare.
I've heard many women before we had a baby say how much they looked forward to going back to work and to having a schedule. The week leading up to my return to work after 12 weeks was disheartening and the anticipation killed me. The night before his first day we went to Target because Daddy wanted to get him a special bag for all his clothes - so we decided on Transformers and the Incredible Hulk. Christian was going to "school" in style.
Just as to be expected of first-time parents, we carefully read the instructions and checklist from the day care staff so to not miss anything or "appear" as obvious first-time parents and forget something important like socks or a binky. Mommy has the penmanship in the family and carefully wrote his name on all his personal items. When I got down to writing on the last two bottles I took a second, took a breath, wiped my tears, and finished my motherly duties. That night, Damion comforted me as I fell asleep on his chest after a good cry.
6 a.m. came so quick and Christian awoke ready for a bottle. On any other day, we would have taken a nap together on the couch after his bottle, wake up again, play together and then officially start our day. But on this day, instead, we fed him and dressed him for his (our) big day. He was in great spirits, smiling, cooing, playing with grandma and grandpa before we left. In a strange way, this made it more difficult - I felt saddened by the possibility of "misleading" him to think we were on our way to spend the day together. Tears came to my eyes again. What if he felt as if we deserted him? My worst fear was - "What if he goes to sleep, wakes up at the day care, and we are NOT there?"
Then I thought about my own parents. How many times did I think my own mom overreacted when I went to a slumber party or when they couldn't stop taking pictures of all of my "firsts." Now I get it. This practice of enjoying and then letting go is a skill that takes a lifetime to master. Today it was day care, tomorrow it will be the first day of school, then college, then....
Truth is after we dropped him off together and after I took Damion to work that day, driving myself to work, I thought - thank you Jesus. Thank you for Christian. Thank you for the ability to have children. Thank you for giving our child both a wonderful mother AND father. Thank you for the ability to afford day care. Thank you for our family that supports us.
Thank you, thank you, thank you!
I've heard many women before we had a baby say how much they looked forward to going back to work and to having a schedule. The week leading up to my return to work after 12 weeks was disheartening and the anticipation killed me. The night before his first day we went to Target because Daddy wanted to get him a special bag for all his clothes - so we decided on Transformers and the Incredible Hulk. Christian was going to "school" in style.
Just as to be expected of first-time parents, we carefully read the instructions and checklist from the day care staff so to not miss anything or "appear" as obvious first-time parents and forget something important like socks or a binky. Mommy has the penmanship in the family and carefully wrote his name on all his personal items. When I got down to writing on the last two bottles I took a second, took a breath, wiped my tears, and finished my motherly duties. That night, Damion comforted me as I fell asleep on his chest after a good cry.
6 a.m. came so quick and Christian awoke ready for a bottle. On any other day, we would have taken a nap together on the couch after his bottle, wake up again, play together and then officially start our day. But on this day, instead, we fed him and dressed him for his (our) big day. He was in great spirits, smiling, cooing, playing with grandma and grandpa before we left. In a strange way, this made it more difficult - I felt saddened by the possibility of "misleading" him to think we were on our way to spend the day together. Tears came to my eyes again. What if he felt as if we deserted him? My worst fear was - "What if he goes to sleep, wakes up at the day care, and we are NOT there?"
Then I thought about my own parents. How many times did I think my own mom overreacted when I went to a slumber party or when they couldn't stop taking pictures of all of my "firsts." Now I get it. This practice of enjoying and then letting go is a skill that takes a lifetime to master. Today it was day care, tomorrow it will be the first day of school, then college, then....
Truth is after we dropped him off together and after I took Damion to work that day, driving myself to work, I thought - thank you Jesus. Thank you for Christian. Thank you for the ability to have children. Thank you for giving our child both a wonderful mother AND father. Thank you for the ability to afford day care. Thank you for our family that supports us.
Thank you, thank you, thank you!
Christian's new home away from home...
The Camera Roll
And here we have Mr. Christian sporting a lovely chocolate corduroy cap with a funky brim cocked to the side. Notice the lovely mocha complexion contrasted with the richness of this must-have burgundy onesie that is hot this season. His buddy, Mr. Bear is the perfect compliment to this innocent, playful, yet deeply mysterious demeanor.
-Vincent van Gogh
Morning sunrise, cup of coffee, daily "fix" - whatever you call it, this face is it. My cherished memories of our son's first three months of life at home with me will always be wrapped inside my heart with a picture of this bundle of joy in nothing but a white side-snap t-shirt that always showed off his itty belly and a diaper with Elmo and friends.
This picture was taken after we woke up from taking our morning nap together on the sofa after his 6 am bottle one day. I opend my eyes just to make sure he was okay. Instead, I caught him watching me sleep and quietly sucking on his binky as if not to wake me! My heart fluttered and I smiled at him and told him "hi." He smiled so big his binky fell out of his mouth. Then we woke up and started our day.
I will never, ever, ever need another reason to smile again :)
This is how ya feed 'em and burp 'em in the dressing rooms at department stores! When they're hungry, they are hungry! Thank you Grandma for taking the pictures! We were suppopsed to be dress shopping but ended up having too much fun just taking pictures :)
"I am looking at the man in the mirror, the man in the mirror, oh ya!" (for all the Michael Jackson fans out there). Funny thing is that his teachers at day care report that sometimes they can just sit him in front of the mirror and he will giggle and smile. His grandpa (Rincon) affectionately refers to that as "self love." When my brother was a baby, my dad would put him in front of the mirror and they would kiss themselves...self love... now OUR baby has this problem!
Hanging out at Nordstrom'sOne of Andrea'a uncles lovingly admitted that baby Christian no longer looked like the "milk man's baby" - and how much he favored Damion. Thanks Uncle Rudy!! :)
Hanging out at P.F. Chang's with the grandparents. We sure are going to miss those long luxurious lunches!
Even though all these jumpers say that the recommended age is 4 months, Christian got his first jumper when he turned 2 months. If you've ever tried to hold him when he wants to play, it is not easy to do. He will dig his little feet wherever he can plant them and try to leap as far as he can.
Christian meeting Granny at Olive Garden on a lunch date!
He has a million different faces and looks but this is a favorite - soft, baby, playful, curious, and engaged.
Napping after a 3 mile walk with mommy on a sunny day :) If he looks like he is seriously leaning to one side it is because mommy had to do the following before he started crying:
1. Park the car,
2. Tie her hair back,
3. Change shoes,
4. Change his diaper,
5. Check the mail,
6. Start walking
So there wasn't a lot of time left to get him situated in the stroller :)
Happy Baby!
The Great West Texas Tour
A native of Snyder, Texas, Daddy takes Mr. Christian to the land of dustbowls and tumbleweeds. The memory of Damion's childhood is vivid and alive. Mr. Christian has a way of reminding him of all that he experienced and learned. When we received word that Christian's great-great grandmother was ill, God gave us the opportunity to take him back to Damion's hometown and meet some very important people.
She gave all of us a scare with an emergency surgery so we rushed to Lubbock so Christian could meet this special person. To our surprise she was waiting on his arrival and the meeting was a blessed one. Even more of a blessing - Grandma Tidda did exceptionally well at the hospital and gradually regained her strength.

5 comments:
Not to tarnish my image but i had tears in my eye reading this(I am not allowed to watch her while she updates the blog)...as his father and her fiancee and a full tim student and employee I don't have much time form day to day to reflect on these precious moments. I am very prou do Andrea for being soo strong and caring to our son and herself and even when she had no energy left she pulled out enough to share time with me...i couldn't be more happy. The is the best time of my life!
I agree!!! I always get all teared up when I read these. Beside the fact that he is SUCH a beautiful, beautiful blessing!! I can't wait to see that big smile. He's growing so fast...I feel like I'm missing EVERYTHING. :( (wait 'til I move to Dallas... we're gonna be INSEPARABLE....hahaaha. OK, correction, we'll be as inseparable as I can pry him away from his adoring parents...Love y'all!!!)
Hi Dre!
I really enjoy reading your blog.. you have always had such a way with words!
Your baby boy Christian looks adorable!
Many Blessings!
Liz O
Hey, my favorite family! I love seeing Christian in his adorable poses....oh so photogenic:) I cannot believe how much he has grown and continues to do so. I am so honored and proud to be a part of his life as his Tia Lexi. I wear this title with such pride and love.
To Andrea, girl I don't know how you do it! You are such an exemplary MOTHER and a beautiful sister inside and out. I learn from you every time I see how you unselfishly love your baby boy. I am so proud of the person you have become over the years from when I first met you....you remember;) You and Pita are the strongest women I have ever met and known. I have the best role models in my own family...how awesome is that!
To Damion,I have seen you grow so much as a person. Your role as a FATHER is not rehearsed or scripted, but rather very natural and humble. It makes me so proud to see you interact and bond with Chrisitian. Christian is so lucky to have you as his father. Keep up the excellent work! Although you are very busy right now with school and work, I think you are doing a great job with your fatherly duties and I know you are a great husband-to-be......I appreciate and thank you for always keeping Andrea as your number one. WHAT A BEAUTIFUL FAMILY!! Love you guys, Lexi A.K.A "powder"......hehehe
sorry guys....did not mean to click"anonymous"...Lexi
Post a Comment