Christian Djimon Selmon is just shy of two years old and is half boy and half parrot. He was inducted into the construction zone crew, has grown partial to tractors, and averages 4 seconds to repeat and master a new word. He learned how to operate the DVD player and insists on watching Cars and "the boy" (aka The Kid, a Disney movie) every single day. He is amazingly absorbent and doesn't waste any time he is given in the day to soak up knowledge, his environment, new sounds, words, and love. He says "please," "thank you," and blesses you when you sneeze. He knows how to say prayer and manages an "Amen!" each time. Daddy sees to it that Christian honorably recognizes most of his superheroes on sight and by name. He mastered what sounds like the Batman jingle and insists on shaking his head every time he "roars" like the Incredible Hulk. He's still our nature boy, absolutely loves to explore unfamiliar territory and can outwalk most of us. He has a love, and more important, a respect for his "aminals" (we're working on that one) and he loves them so much that he insists on feeding them every night as we turn the page in one of his favorite pop-up books, The Little Turtle.
Christian, really??!
This is what Big Bird looks like at 4:16 a.m. Christian decided to go through a growth spurt and took approximately two weeks to do it. Every night he would sleep for an hour, be up for two, sleep for an hour... and so on... gotta love it.
UP WITH MOMMY! (or DADDY) is a common phrase we hear at least a dozen times a day and especially as we enter a new environment. There aren't any hard and fast rules about how, when, we pick him up, tote him around, or put him to sleep - it's simply become second nature and while we both know and recognize that rules and structure play a large role in his development - so too are our instincts and ability to calm, comfort and engage him. He's turned out great so far :)
Shamefully I admit, I had forgotten how wonderfully beautiful the spring was. I'm loyal to my Summer as most Summer babies are and fell in love with the Fall many seasons ago - one of the reasons I chose to get married in November. But the last five months have been ridden with celebration, love, and awesome memories. Not to mention, it was the quiet before the storm with back to back birthdays and anniversaries beginning in June.
RELAY FOR LIFE
We kicked off April with a little relay action. A special time of year for me emotionally, I made a conscience decision a few years ago to celebrate this event in my life rather than to disown it. On a scale of 1 to 10 and in comparison to what it could have been, I give it a 5. I knew it briefly and survived it quickly but became a member of the life group nonetheless. As such, I decided it was too important to forget.
When I was old enough to understand that the words Grandma and Abuleita meant the same thing, it was too late. I grew to know these women in completely different and loving lights and I continue to grow in their legacies they have left behind. Understanding and knowing that they would have fought with their own lives than to have a family member come to know Cancer personally, I am only too proud to have survived it on their behalf. Thank you Grandma and Abuelita for smiling upon us this special day and everyday. I love you.
Grandma
Thank you Jesus. Enough said.

If I knew then I had to go through cancer to get to our son, he would have been here a lot earlier :)

My wings beside me and my life in front of me (my heartbeat was taking the picture :)
My #1 cheerleader and an honorary member of the greatest sorority in the world - KAPPA DELTA CHI :)
Awesome women and lovely sisters
Grandma had to sit this one out but cheered us on as I proudly took the "caregiver" lap with my guys :)
Taking the survivor lap with my baby.
Mommy's cure for just about anything.
Family is hands down, the most important thing in life. I am nothing without it, would give anything for it and I am blessed beyond any measure to know and love a family that shares the same passion for it. Damion took quite a few pics of the beautifully lit luminarias that I asked family and friends to purchase for the cause. It's an indescribable feeling receiving so much support. Thank you for the warmest part of my heart - to ALL my family and friends that supported my efforts and the cause. I love you and will always fall short in showing my gratitude for the role my family has played in my life.



And to my parents - from which my husband inherited my lifeline. Only God who heard your prayers when I was sick will understand the pain you both endured during my illness. You have always and will continue to protect me from the raw reality of parenthood. But my time of knowing approaches, I'm sure. And each time my opportunity arrives to show up in our son's life through trial and triumph, I pray that I am blessed with half as much courage, wisdom, grace and strength that you have poured into me throughout my days. I love, honor and thank you with each breath I take.
Babies Galore
A lovely day for a baby shower

Flower arrangement by yours truly :)

Mommy-to-be, Raquelita
Christian has a knack for turning empty spaces into play areas
Baby Belize helping herself to Christian's snack bowl!
And Baby Maya helping HERself to Christian's cheez-its!
The women rule in this house :)
Maya's first stab at a cheez-it :)
Christian finally ended up rationing the snacks.

When you're in college, you don't expect to see this scene very soon. But when you make lifelong friends it's inevitable. And such a beautiful sight.
The baby shower crew

Babies on board!
Three ladies and a gent.
Mommy,
It is because of you that I am here
Because of you I am without fear
Because of you I am strong
Because of you I know right from wrong
Because of you I have a big heart
Because of you I love music, nature and art
Because of you my life is blessed
Thank you mommy you are the best
-From my lil Poppa :)

The best mother's day gift EVER!! Inside there was a little hand-stitched pillow from my baby :)

Christian tried to help with the homemade gift we made for Grandma for Mother's Day but he kept getting tangled in the ribbon and gave up soon thereafter. He still gets an A for effort.

What my mom doesn't know is that each time I brew a good cup, I think of her. This is what it's all about. Being a mama, sharing what you love, and passing it on to your kids. No matter where we are in the world, I have daily tea time with mama :)
Birthdays after having kids seem to just take on a completely renovated sense of selflessness. For the last two years all I've asked for on my birthday is to live to see the next one. I know there are things I'm supposed to want right now but I'm not sure what they are. I'm pretty sure there's a point where I'm supposed to hesitate about getting "old"... but not sure when that'll be. And I'm almost positive there is somewhere I'm supposed to be on this milestone occasion but haven't figured out where that it. While I wrestle with those thoughts, I think in the interim, I will just plan on counting my blessings and not my years; I'll plan on being where I'm supposed to be - with my family; and I'll just ask for the infinite wisdom to see me through another 30 years. How's that for some birthday plans!
I really do spend more time thinking about potty training than I do turning 30. I've thoroughly enjoyed revving up for scrapbooking and being immersed in the memorabilia that is spread across my parent's dining room table and I'm beyond grateful that Christian and Daddy have an entire uninterrupted summer together to bond. All that said, despite the subtle feelings of reluctancy to "let" our son turn two years old, I've learned to appreciate all that awaits him on the other side of that big number. And even though I'm elated to think that potty training is around the corner, I secretly pray that God takes his time. I'm in no rush, I tell Him.
The Camera Roll

Frame 1: Cheese Christian!

Frame 2: Daddy trying join the fun...but being sentenced to his OWN toy to ride.

Frame 4: Daddy obliges and plays a good sport :)

Frame 5: Christian now wondering what the heck Daddy is doing.

Chillin at Northpark in "our" courtyard. Malls are a saving grace during the summer time.

This would frighten some mommies. But I knew they had to come back down eventually.
Here ducky ducky ducky...

If you grew up in Dallas and did NOT go up and down this wall at Northpark, you're weird.

Next time we'll bring the skateboard :)
They call me Lenny, Lenny Kravitz.

Mall tantrums - challenge or opportunity? You already know my vote :)

This is Daddy's favorite hat.
This is Cheetos on Daddy's favorite hat.
Any questions?

Shadow games

Spending time with the front yard turtles

Christian thinks he's cute just because he rides in big boy cars
Hanging with the homies from da Street!

Christian phone home... wait, you are home.

A million little moments like these is what builds big boys up :)

I told Javon not to let him drive her Beamer...

I can do it.

Reflections at Northpark Mall
Having some cereal with Papa in the morning and soaking up a little CNN.
Granny outside racing with the boys
"cheese!"

Pizza face.

Utter protest.

Clearly Christian is one of two types of people in the world that does NOT get sick while reading in the car.
How YOU doin?

North Pointe park sucked but Christian still made the best of it!

Go to school, go...Be a fool, don't... Get an educaaaaation.
That's an old school jingle from back in the day. Christian sitting in on an orientation for a future school.
This is a Calvin Klein poster if I've ever seen one! Huggies eat your heart out!









No comments:
Post a Comment