You know your baby is not a baby anymore when you are rocking him to sleep and instead of drifting off to the lullaby CD you always play for him at bedtime, he pops up and claps after each track. Or when he starts bobbing his head to anything with a cool beat - could be classical, hip hop, elevator music if it's good - you name it, Christian will dig it. In fact, he even started making a little grunt that mimics what we do when we are really feeling a song. He won't smile, he'll just bob his head and keep his cool...

We think he'll always have a song in his heart.
It's things like these that have been amazing to watch these last few months. He'll always be our baby of course, but he is his own little person with his own opinions, fears, and idiosyncrasies. Even though the baby room is a live battleground at times, just watching his perfect little face once he’s drifted off into Neverland for the night, makes me understand why I continue to watch him sleep. So many nights after Christian finally falls asleep I think I'm going to immediately put him down and try to go get some housework done. But watching him sleep is mesmerizing. I try to get up from the rocking chair but I just can't.
The only thing worth stealing is a kiss from a sleeping child. ~Joe Houldsworth
But sometimes the C stands for Challenge. From the hitting (that he obviously picked up from some other kids of school that don't have any home training...), to falling out in the grocery store, to throwing things, to dropping to his knees when he doesn’t want to go an inch further, to refusing anything but milk, to making the neighbors think we’re abusing him when all we’re trying to do is rock him to sleep, to wanting to do EVERTHING on his own. And in those moments when it takes 12 times asking Christian to do something, I pray for patience. When something is ailing him, I pray that it be given to me. When I have to leave and he's crying, I ask for strength. When I'm challenged and don't know what the heck to do, I thank God for the opportunity. Then we wake up and do it all over again!

He figured out how to "let" himself out of the car... almost gave me a heart attack.
He prefers to sit in the chair by himself and work on the computer...
I vaguely remember when you couldn't get Christian to sit still to watch something on TV for more than 30 seconds. Now, it's an intense competition between the Food Network (for mommy) and Baby First TV. He absolutely loves Elmo and the rest of the Sesame Street gang. It's so much fun when your baby takes a liking to things. Makes you want to go get everything in stock of whatever tickles their fancy.

Watching his Saturday morning shows with Daddy. You know you're a parent when you have the theme songs to his favorite shows stuck in your head at work.
Anyone who thinks the art of conversation is dead ought to tell a child to go to bed.
~Robert Gallagher
He's talking up a storm now. The words "ball," "tree," and "dog" are his favorites. And even though he can spot a dog from a mile away, he won't touch one. It won't be long before he has a few pups of his own but until then, he continues to be enthralled by all the neighborhood doggies. He's also pretty into ducks, another favorite word.

Here ducky-ducky...good ducky!

We had to break the news to Christian that this ducky can't walk

WHOA!!! Christian watch out!
Duck watching at the park
"Tree"!!
He knows most of his major body parts and will point to them on cue - nose, eyes, ears, fingers, hands, feet, tummy, hair, and he's slowly learning about his third little leg :)
I've got a few more of these that are much better but you get the point here. I'll just have to save the other ones for his first serious girlfriend :)
He's got the whole "bye-bye" bit down cold now, waving at us and giving us the softest, most gentle, most genuine "bye." I've almost hit a few trash cans pulling away from the house just trying to look back and catch as much as I can for the day. I can't imagine what I'll do the first time I hear him say "I love you." I've warned my boss that if Christian utters those words on my way out for work that I'm calling in sick. And on that note,
Christian, my Love,
when you tell people you love them:
1) Say it unconditionally,
2) don't fret over who says it first - if it feels right, then say it,
and last,
3) It doesn't count unless you put the "I" in front of it.
Do this and your "I love you's" will stand out from the rest!
And of course, we continue to endorse the self-love principles. Here he is, giving himself besos :)
Muuuahh!

Real men give kisses.
Powerful he is ... hmmmmmm
Halloween was precious. As precious as a haunted holiday can be. It was all about family, pumpkin patches, pictures, school carnivals and more pictures!

Do I look like a mommy or do I look like a mommy??
Getting ready for the school Halloween party!

Same question: does he look like a daddy or does he look like a daddy?

Thank you Mama and Papa Bear (Grandparents) for going to 4 grocery stores and 1 gas station to find the Bugle chips that we needed to make the chocolate witches hats. We love you!

Who knows how much our little graveyard cupcakes sold for at the carnival :)
5 bucks a pop... easy!

All ready for the big shindig at school

Miss Gabby in costume. Christian didn't want to take a picture with her so grandma had to buffer them. Maybe it was the black lipstick...

Christian takes a stab at his first corny dog. He is without a doubt, his father's son :)

Tio Jojo showing him how it's done!

Daddy assisting in the demo

Our attempt at a family photo at the Harvest scene at the school... only Christian was SOOOOO ready to go.
Taking the pumpkin to the pumpkin patch
It was a bit risky taking Christian without his afternoon nap but he was such a great sport.


Let's see, we're looking for something with beautiful color, not too round, very firm, minimal damage and a perky stem!

Christian didn't appreciate having to share his wagon ride with this enormous orange thing. Remember he is without nap right now and this is his "tolerant" face which precedes his "disaster" face by approximately 22 minutes.

The locale was picture perfect


Gazing out of the pumpkin house window

I'll give you two chances to find Daddy but you'll only need one :)

We tried to get Christian in the pic with his role model but by this time we are approximately 11 minutes from "times up"

Where's the pumpkin??? There he is!!
Boooooooooo
Later that night, our son morphed into a Kit-Kat-eating-Yoda that humored mommy and held his life saber long enough for photo ops and then enjoyed being toted around the neighborhood in his radio flyer for trick-or-treating. Towards the end of our route, he got the hang of it and if you listened over all the screaming kids you could hear Christian’s faint “boooooo.” After all the house hopping, we enjoyed some much needed family time and much appreciated food.

Back at the house resting up for trick-or-treating with the fam. This was actually the first piece of candy Christian has ever had. And of all pieces he could possibly pick, he chose a Kit-Kat - a candy near and dear to mommy's heart! I may not get many points on looks, but the kid's definitely got plenty of my great habits!

Me and my baby skeleton :)

Daddy taking a stab at the pumpkin carving... no pun intended.

Christian gave Daddy's first carved pumpkin a perfect 10.0!!

Chillin with Tia Lexi

Daddy preparing the Master Jedi for the big event
And without further adieu ... The Master himself!!

Mommy just learned at age 29 that is is life "saber" not life "saver." Kind of humbling really but Daddy set it straight for me. He is after all, the Authority on all matters sci-fi and superhero.

Trying to take a picture without any "interference"- thanks a lot Uncle Tris!
Don't worry Auntie Dani, I'll protect you!

The 6 and under crew... featuring, as usual, Uncle Tris.

Ready to hit the streets!

And they're off!

Some houses are so well decorated, they make the little ones cry... our little Tink-Tink was one of them :(

House hoppin with Daddy

Posing with Tio and Tia
Don't ask...
Tia really got into the spirt of it all
Charlie's Angels... the remix!
Neighbors were more than generous and the kids got lots of great stuff
G.I. Joe aka cousin Zyrein
Uncle and Granny spreading a little Halloween cheer

Back home safely with the Gramps

Cousins Ari and Z


Granny, this doesn't go with my outfit...
Happy Birthday Buddy!
November 10 was Christian's 16 month mark. So you know how we do it! One needle for each quarter of life!! The truth is, I was taking Christian to the doctor to get his ears checked out - the weather was getting cooler and he was tugging at his ears. When we got there our Pedi reminded us that we MISSED his 15 month checkup!! Last time I checked, Daddy convinced me that we didn't have to bring Christian back until he was a year and a half...
So there I was telling Christian in the car before we got out that we would only be there for 15 minutes and it would be in and out. Turns out I lied through my teeth and with a straight face. And since our doc was nice enough to get his 15 month checkup done in one copay, I sold out and decided to make it up to my son later.

Before

After

Busting out

Making a run for it

So that's why they call it a "Happy Meal" - it cures everything! I said I would make it up to him and I did!
I'm not sure how most babies/toddlers are with shots but Christian is a soldier. I think the worst we've ever had was his newborn assessment where they have to prick the heck out of those teeny tiny baby feet and get tons of blood. Maybe not tons, but too much. Christian's nurses told us at one point that all of them dreaded those assessments.

As if the unexpected immunizations that month weren't enough, we had his first dentist appointment! Christian cried the entire 2 minute teeth cleaning but survived nonetheless. The receptionists gave him a token to ride this little train they have in the waiting area. I told them no, it was okay but they insisted and watched me as I put him on the ride to see his reaction. I warned them. He's just not into the train thing...

...or the horsey thing.

But if it has a steering wheel on it, Christian is all over it!

Off the train and much better now :)
Christian's not the only one that celebrated a "birthday" over the last two months. Cousin Gracie and Tia Exa lee celebrated too.
At Chuck E Cheese for Gracie's Birthday




Tia Exa lee's "Dirty 30" Celebration at home
A red velvet amaretto cake made with love just for the occasion. I tried to tell her that you don't do red velvet and amaretto but she insisted. And voila! That's how recipes are born :)
Christian and I had to do the honors because tia didn't want to spread any germs from her cold
Where's the B-I-N-K-Y ?!
One of the more pivotal events that took place was the very successful “NO BINKY” campaign. It was time – that little binky of his would just sit there and dangle on his lip. Plus, daddy and I grew tired of going into panic mode every time we lost the ONE binky in the house. He stopped cold turkey over Halloween weekend. I was home with him that Friday and that first nap without it was tough but I was committed to doing whatever necessary to get him binky-free for at least 24 hours. I figured after that, it would be downhill. And it was. Yeah Christian!!!
Kitchen Stadium
I had it in my head when I was pregnant that Christian's culinary experience as an infant and even as a toddler would be somewhat controlled for - only instilling in him the most wholesome and delectable eats. I was way off. Christian exudes his confidence in kitchen (and his eating habits), if nowhere else and he is a natural born foodie :) He loves being in the kitchen with us. In fact, once upon a time when he was only crawling and more susceptible to those germs crawling on the kitchen floor with him, we would put the ottoman up and block the large doorway to the kitchen. Christian wasn't having that. The minute he found the drawer with all the big shiny things he fell in love.

This is typically what the kitchen floor looks like 3-4 days out of the week. His favs are the spatulas, ice cream scoop, and french whisk.... what can I say? The kid knows his utensils!

Getting some ingredients for mommy

Who knows, maybe he'll put on one of these someday :)
Granted, Christian is as daring as the next toddler boy, but he sticks with what works and lately, the last four months or so, that includes his favorite waffles, baked chicken nuggets and all of his beloved snacks (goldfish, graham cracker, baked cheetos, and Daddy's spicy Dorito chips). We've managed to work in tomato soup after figuring out that he loves marinara sauce. I happen to have made some from scratch and let him play with the spoon afterwards and poof! A new favorite was revealed! Thank goodness he likes tomatoes like his dad. He eats at school very well and we credit that to environment with the other kids. When he gets home though, he's pretty simple. Majority of the time he is more interested in what we are eating more than anything else. He'll try new things but only if it comes from our plates. But there are some favorites...including Daddy's favorite - pizza and chocolate chip cookies :)
Not quite sure who's the bigger cookie monster - Mr. Cookie Monster himself (you know the blue guy on Sesame Street) or my husband. Thanks to mommy, Christian sees the Cookie Monster on his cups now and says "Dada!" Truth be told, Christian beats both of them. The chocolate chip cookie is his official dessert of choice.


This was the first time he tried mommy's homemade triple C

Not wasting a crumb

Ah! Fresh cookie and cold milk - this is the life!

Having way too much fun

Remnants of the cookie

Chowing down at Amazing Jakes
Uh-oh! Cheeri-O!!
Christian and I have a few of of our own favs and those include the infamous O's and popsicles. We love sharing a good bowl of Cheerios together. This has long been his favorite snack before we introduced him to Baked Cheetos.

What's particularly special about this picture is that Christian always goes to this stool that sits in the kitchen. He grabs a snack, usually this big box of Cheerios or his animal crackers, and then he insists on sitting on this stool and snacking in the kitchen. The stool belonged to my late Grandma, Christian's Great-Grandma. Every time I see him sitting on her stool, I see her.

The first time I introduced the concept of cereal to Christian, he did like he does with everything else and spit it out. When I showed him how good it was, he took interest.

As soon as I let him take full control over the spoon, he went to town! This part is a must, never to be more preoccupied with keeping the kitchen clean - just let them go at it! It makes for a much more independent child.

Sharing popsicles may very well be another favorite pastime of ours years from now. We love, love, love our popsicles! It used to be that I would hold the popsicle for us...


Look at him go! He doesn't need mommy anymore :(
Trying out a banana...
Sweet November
It's my absolute favorite out of the 12. November is just the pinnacle of the beautiful fall season when you walk outside and even though it's a little nippy, you close your eyes and smell the winter approaching and enjoy the beautiful sunsets we have nearly all month long.

This is the essence of my Fall


A beautiful scene at the Japanese Gardens in Fort Worth

Daddy has become quite the nature photographer. We both agree, my speciality is capturing the essence of people. But Daddy is so connected to nature, it is only fitting that this be his personal window. You don't even have to be a photographer to appreciate this.
Mr. and Mrs.
We have this "little" tradition in our family that my parents started - we fall in love and stay in love. Damion and I met when were were 21 and 19, respectively, and all I can attest to is that God has had his hand on our relationship for 10 years. But this first year being married and sharing it with Christian, is an inexplicable experience that I would tell folks not to try at home, unless you are ready to receive the abundance of blessings and happiness that it will inevitably bring; a feeling that can be beautifully overwhelming.
Being initiated into the Selmon crew was no easy win. When I toggle my wedding band around my finger I think of one defining moment. Damion told me there was somewhere he wanted to take me. We show up an hour later to Granny's house. There is one, two, three, four, ALL of the women closest to him under one roof - Granny, momma, Aunt Kerstin, and sissy Dani. I was casually introduced and was left in the living room to fend for myself while he went to the back of the house, all the while, testing me. How'd I do, you ask? The proof is in the pudding :) Aside from getting confused with a fish on my mail (smile) getting married was the best decision I've ever made.

Here we are reading our beautiful anniversary cards from Christian and the rest of the family. We went to a special brunch, spent the better part of the day together and then hubby and I had an awesome date night. We played the game "this time last year we were..." and filled in the blank as the day went on :)
Thanksgiving 2009

This is what it's all about

just thankful :)

The newest addition to the fam - Baby Madeline

Christian is very thankful for his tio and tia

And here they are - the Castillo sisters! That's a lot of warm love in one picture :)

Nana, Em, baby Stella (inside) and moi

Having a good laugh at Damion's expense :)

See, it's not always peaches and cream

If you think the turkeys have it bad on T-Day - try being Tia Levy's banana pudding. It never had a chance!

Christian and cousin Milo

Darren and scary looking Mexican aka Ignacio :)

When was the last time you had a good one of these shouts at the top of your lungs??!

Little Milo (but we're all Mexican so it's hard not to call him "Mee-lo"

Grandpa hanging out

Naptime - take 1

Naptime - take 2

Christian taking part in his first Secret Santa!

Drumroll please....
And it's cousin Meredith!

The 16 and up crew - all growed up!

Ya, this is the life :)

The boys making up their own Turkey Trot at home. Only if we could all be this physically active on Thanksgiving...


Me and all my babies!

Momma looking cute.
Tristan trying to look hard.

Even cousin Dada came outside for a little fresh air

Walking all grown just cause he's hanging with the big boys

Uncle Thomas Len waking up from his Thanksgiving nap

Christian tying to remember who Uncle Thomas Len is...

The chick-a-dees

See what I mean - Energizer Bunny!

Cheese!

Brother and Sister - or can't you tell?

Christian had a hissy on the way to house #3 but as soon as he got there he was bouncing off the walls. This is the night he started trying to twirl in circles but he only made it halfway around and then started over again.

Cousin Fel in for the holiday! Yaaaay!
Our little victories as parents have gone a long way these last few months. Even when I only know exactly what he wants 1 out of 10 times, it feels so good and all those little nuggets of knowledge that you tuck away after you've figured something out is like another notch on my mommy belt. Where it used to take 30 minutes to get his bag together for the day, it takes 5 now. We know when he's hungry or when he just wants to snack and we know when to take which snacks. We know when he's tired or just uncomfortable. We know how much time we have from the time he starts rubbing his eyes to starring in his own tantrum mini-series. We know his favorite toys and we know that no matter how pretty the book, he enjoys turning the pages more than he does hearing the stories. One might say that's what parents do - that's your job to know. Point taken, but understand, some parents raise their kids a certain way their whole life and never really "know" them. Christian will one day be a young boy, then a teenager, than a man. And there may be a time or two when we as parents might have to remind our son of who and what he is. So it may be about animal crackers today, but tomorrow it will be about integrity. And we'll be ready.
My Love,
it's been a pure joy getting to know you in such a different light. You will have to
forgive us as we continue to watch you and stare at you for long periods of time in sheer
amazement. Your growing independence is bittersweet and we are proud of you 110% of
your days. No matter if we are simply folding your bigger boy clothes, taking you a bath,
packing your breakfast and lunch every day for school or rocking you to sleep, every second
with you is precious and we love you!
Now...on the Camera Roll...
You remember those pair of shoes you wore with EVERYTHING when you were little - could have been some red cowboy boots or jellies if you a girl and born in the 80's...for Christian, it's his superman sandals!
Thanks Granny! These sandals are the best!
For almost a year now, we've been tickling Christian... But it's payback time now! Except Christian doesn't know how to just tickle. So he'll "tug" at you and since all you can do is laugh, he thinks he's tickling you. He found Daddy's two little "tickle" spots - under his arms and his belly button!
Self-grooming. Thank God for Carol's Daughter - the best line of hair products ever! Thanks Javon!
Cousin Tink helping Christian tie his shoes.... awwwww :)
Snack time doesn't always go as planned...
Christian figured out how to sabotage the Bose system :0!
Come on grandson, you can do it.
A few good pumpkins
Christian with tio and tia
Sometimes you just gotta get in there!
Thanks for the cool toy bin Granny!
Me and Tia...with an angel watching over us :)
Cousin Zna
Affirmative action hero!
Snacking on the way home from school
Sometimes you've gotta get the wagon ride in somehow!
Little hands at work
You think it's time for a nap??
Getting some QT with Great Granny :)
It is a pure joy having your little one run to you. I've had some incredibly challenging days at work that always seem to fade away when I get to pick Christian up and watch him as he gets all giddy after he sees me and runs to me, sometime stumbling along the way. Just precious.
Christian found this new hiding spot - a perfect example of where NOT to play!
Christian likes to play with and put on just about everything of Daddy's - from his sunglasses to cologne to his shoes and hats. He'll even grab Daddy's Dolce, bring it to us, and stretch his little neck for a little spray. Don't be fooled either cause he won't - if he doesn't smell anything, he will insist until he does. At least the kid has great taste!
Someday poppa... someday :)
Damion epitomizes fatherhood and Christian absolutely adores him.
Daddy caught a rainbow for us :)
Having a little fun at the doc's office, I was trying to get Christian to loosen up a bit. Stone cold fox.. all bundled up!
You can't tell here but this is mommy's over-the-shoulder-boulder-holder...
Christian trying to go back to the future! Wait for mommy poppa!
Grandma is great at keeping Christian's library stocked.
Catching some love at the mall
Christian always manages to give the gramps a good laugh
Playing dress up!
BFF Javon Lou :)
Jojo and Daedae - Top Flight Security of da World!
Catching some zzzzzz's with tio jojo
Christian and I like to catch up on our mailers together - I'm staying abreast the latest trends with BabyTalk and Christian is clipping coupons for me from the Family Christian store :)
QT with Mama and Papa Bear
Wheeeeee!
Apple, eat your heart out! You're gonna have to pay for this picture :)
What's better than that?!
On his first DART rail ride - going to the State Fair with mommy and daddy!
No comments:
Post a Comment